Monday, December 24, 2012

Finding our 36.7

We were proud owners of a DownEast 38, One Love (http://svonelove.blogspot.com/) with thoughts of eventual cruising when life took one of those left turns. I got a promotion and Janet got pregnant and everything changed.

One Love started to take a backseat, we no longer had time for two or three day sails so the hour plus of setup and putting the boat to bed started to take a toll (much less likely to sail for an afternoon when half your time is spent arranging your rigging). At the same time I crewed on someones S2, and the point where I realized we need to change boats was when bringing the boat back without an engine, and having confidence to do that which I would not have had with One Love. I wanted a boat like that....

A year later we put One Love on the market, sold her within a month and started looking for the next adventure.

And quickly found Kraken, a Beneteau 36.7. When researching boats I'd decided the 36.7 was a great fit for us but when I saw one in person it was such a boy toy racing boat I couldn't imagine Janet wanting to spend any time on board. However we were looking a C&C99 in Marina Del Ray and it seemed sensible to look at other potential boats while up there and there was Kraken, so we took a look.

A month later I'm starting this blog while waiting for confirmation that we now own her.

Janet and Vida proving me wrong, aided by a nice neat interior.
Pretty in the air

Pretty at the dock

The last picture is after our test sail while sitting at the dock having run out of fuel. Testing my requirement of docking without a functional engine right away. The sails on her are pretty battered and I'm not sure if they are worth keeping but she comes with an excellent wardrobe of race sails that I can't wait to start playing with.

In fact I just can't wait to start playing with her full stop! Just awaiting confirmation that we own her then will start plans to bring her down south.

No comments:

Post a Comment