Thursday, June 19, 2014

Technique: raceQs2 - leeway

My muscles ache. No spinnaker today, just a short WL course and round it five times.

I tried to tack on the shifts, but when I looked at the course in raceQs it looked like I was just taking through 90 degrees. According to the output I'm slipping sideways a lot, getting on for ten degrees of it going upwind. Going to need to get that down.

There are two obvious changes - clean the bottom and use race sails - but I think trim and tacking technique can also help.

Next week I'll have another go, once my shoulders are functional again. I'm going to try several different configurations (assuming the conditions are similar, 1-2 foot slop, 8 knots of wind).

- More backstay, less headstay sag
- Headsail out a little
- Mainsail out a little
- Main and head out a little
- Main and head out a little, then trim in as the boat goes a bit faster (try and get the boat into the 5s before trimming in).

Quite a lot to test in one session, may take several to get a better understanding but I'm sure it can be improved.

Visual example of the leeway


And the whole track, why my muscles ache!

Oh - somewhere in there Kraken did a lovely luff around the windward mark, I got lifted close to it, didn't try and lay it but shoved around it using momentum, another new trick.

Addendum: This is what I've learnt - try it out yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment